Friday, August 3, 2012

Taste of Home

We are really spoiled.

Most things that we could want to 'remind' us of home,
are not too hard to find.

They might not be the EXACT same thing,
but really close enough.

However, there are certain things 
Things that you come accustomed to having
that don't seem as optional....

For me. 
To name something I must have!
I LOVE Crest toothpaste.
 My love has translated to everyone in the family.
It is the BEST, no question.
Where we live, 
they have EVERY TYPE of toothpaste,
 except Crest!
Seriously, aquafresh, colgate, sensodyne you name it.
Well, there is one little local store that carries Crest.
The little local store that smells strange...
But, usually, they only have green tea flavor???
Yes.  Green Tea Flavor.
Green tea flavor after brushing, just isn't the same as mint...

For Todd, he has been on a mission...
Which, I have picked up since being here.
To find STICK Deodorant for men.
Apparently, Asia is all about roll-on and sprays.
I haven't been able to find ONE men's stick deo.
Oh, and I HAVE been LOOKING...
They have a couple women's types though.

Well, word on the street was 
that there is this ONE store in Central
that has American products, 
Costco's products even.

It is called,
Gateway
which I think is appropriate.

I had heard of this elusive store.
But, wasn't sure if it was just folk lore.
My Dad did a search and also found tale of this store.

Could it be?
Could there be a store where we could get 
a TASTE of HOME?

We found a number for the store.
No one answered.
It is not close, 
and we didn't want to travel all the way for nothing.
But the temptation was too great.

Oh, stick deoderant...
Men's stick deodorant....
Keep my man smelling good and like a MAN.
You are worth the attempt!

Todd and I ventured downtown one evening,
after work....
Only to find, the store did EXIST,
but it was CLOSED (early hours).

Still, it was a good excuse for a date night!

What we didn't have for dinner.
(I know we are wimps...)
I mean really. I love food. 
LOVE trying new foods.
I just can't eat something...
That is LOOKING at me...  :O

What we did have!
Authentic, Italian Pizza!
We earned it though...
It was SOOO VERY HOT and HUMID!

The temptation to return to the store would not yield.

I knew with the early hours,
going with Todd wasn't going to work out.
So, I had to find a way to get the kids to go too.
I couldn't carry everything by myself....

They had been asking to go to the GIANT bookstore downtown.
Well, it IS on the WAY...
Perfect!

Kids waiting at the Shuttle stop, at our complex.
You can see the shuttle pulling up behind them.

 Cute, little purse llama Todd got me ready to go!

We Metro'd down to Kowloon.
It is the second from last stop on the line by our house.
We almost ALWAYS miss it,
 and end up in downtown Hogng Kong.
This time at the last second we got off, PHEW!
It opens into a Magnificently LARGE, super nice Mall.
Called, "Elements"
This is also where the Three-sixty grocery store is
That has the yummy burgers and tons of great import foods.

Above the mall.
 One of the cool displays in the mall. 
 Finally,
the book store.
 Beautiful views.
 The store even had a ROCKING Llama!
OMG!
Made me want another child.
(no not really, but it is so cute)
 Maybe, we can buy it and save it for a grandbaby, Todd?

The metro station is just beneath the mall.
Which means, NEVER having to GO out 
into the MILLION DEGREES Heat!

We just had to hop back on the metro.
Walk across the INSIDE station pathway to another train.
Follow a convoluted maze, until...
Poof, we could feel the heat waves, 
before even seeing the street.

A few steps from the metro
and We had FOUND IT! 
 Logan had to keep reminding me,
"Mom, we only have ONE trolley.  
We have to CARRY whatever we get here - HOME."
What I didn't know, while we were shopping,
is that they deliver!
Yes.  I do believe there will be MORE tastes of home!
Do you see that - ROOT BEER!  
Oh yah!
I can NOT WAIT for a root beer float.  

Strangely, root beer is an American thing.
(I remember discovering that when I was 9 in London,
 but would have thought it had caught on by now.
 However, I have NEVER been able to find 
Root beer anywhere that we have traveled.  I am SO excited!)

Now if ONLY I could order online!

3 comments:

bubdaddio said...

YAY GATEWAY!!!!! Yay!!! COSTCO!!!! I am truly happy for you. BUT, did you find Men's stick deodorant?????

Cherylann and Mike said...

What and adventure you guys are constantly having. I can't imagine how nice it is to get thosethings that feel like "home" that we take for granted here though. Love that there is delivery! :)

TamaraLove said...

Dad- Look at the last picture! (: Why, yes, we did! Not only stick deo, but my FAVORITE CREST!!! Life is good!

Cherylann - Yay, Delivery! We will have to take them up on that service next time. It is surprising how much effort it is to lug around all your groceries through two trains, a bus and walking! LOL!

html/java