Friday, July 27, 2012

Illiteracy

I have a GREATER appreciation
for
Literacy, 
"the ability to read for knowledge and write coherently 
and think critically about the written word"

How I took it for granted in the U.S.

In Hong Kong,
it is true there is a LOT of English everywhere....
Yet, menus at restaurants often are in Traditional Chinese.
Even our bills and junk mail come in Traditional.

There is this spot as we get off the shuttle
that everyday has countless fliers being handed out.
Usually, they are in Traditional Chinese.

It makes me feel so illiterate!

I am a very curious person
and 
I HATE TO FEEL illiterate.

So, I have decided to do my utmost to learn the written language.
We shall see how it goes.

I would love to find some flash cards.
Todd and I have been looking.
We have not been able to as of yet.
We were told that they don't carry them,
because they all, already KNOW Traditional...

I think we probably will be making our own.
OR
Maybe we can find out where they have a store 
that supplies the schools and buy material from them.  

Here is an example of my dilemma...
This came in the mail.
Only thing I can read is HAAGEN DAZS
and the phone number (numbers are the same).
Now, for all I know, this could say 
COME in and get all the free Haagen-dazs you can eat!
(I doubt it, but one can dream.)
Either way, just knowing I could be missing out 
is definitely motivating!

1 comment:

bubdaddio said...

Good luck! I Googled Cantonese flashcards and a ton of sites came up that sell them.

html/java