Sunday, August 19, 2012

HK - Elections

I thought by leaving the country,
during an election year...
I would have escaped the policital deluge ....

I really dislike all the negativity 
that seems to be intertwined with politics.

To me, election years bring out the sides 
of people I would really like to pretend don't exist.

Don't get me wrong, 
I am incredibly grateful for my right to vote!

I just don't want to be assaulted by an onslaught 
of bickering about which candidate is worse?
Bleck.

Anyhow, 

I was happy to get away from it....
Vote by post is fine with me.

What I didn't realize is 
It is a Hong Kong election year too.

No their government is not set up like ours,
but they do elect people to key positions.

So, while I was able to escape it in America...
I get bombarded with it in the form of people 
speaking on loudspeakers by the metro,
and assertively handing out flyers.

Usually I decline the flyers,
and ignore the speakers.

To be fair.
The speakers are usually in Cantonese.
Easy to tune out.
I can't vote here anyway, so no worries.

But, the other day I was handed this flyer,
I was weak, cute old Hong Kong man with a smile.
So, yah. I took the flyer.
It was in English.

It totally made me laugh.
Somethings just don't translate into English well.
A Solicitor by PROFESSION?!
At first I thought it was an ad against him.
Then after we read it a few times,
it is definitely for him.

Ha Ha Solicitor by profession....
Can you imagine in the US using that as a campaign strategy?

We have established that I am easily entertained right?

No comments:

html/java