Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Kindness

I was asked to substitute teach the women's class in church this last Sunday.  

The subject - Kindness

I was actually excited when I found out the subject, as I have seen how kindness can change people and lives.  How it can truly make a difference.  Also, I believe kindness is the one trait that society needs more of, and it is the one trait that Jesus taught us with every action and word...  

What a perfect lesson for the season, I thought.

As I was preparing my lesson, trying to think of the best possible ways to teach and convey kindness to these already sweet ladies, the tragedy in Connecticut happened.

I already had a theme in mind, lesson written.
I even wrote up a little skit, 
based on this blog to hope to give  a different perspective.
(Feel free to read the blog, it is a worthwhile read.)

The tragedy and it IS a tragedy for all involved,
made me realize how much MORE important this lesson is...

It is too easy for us to judge others.
Too easy to condemn.

Kindness means more than just offering a seat to the elderly,
or holding the door for someone with full hands.
(Not that those things aren't KIND and important!)

Kindness, true kindness is found when someone cuts you off while you are driving, and you don't get angry...   It is found when someone offends you and you forgive them....  Not in a passive aggressive sort of way either, truly forgive them...  
Kindness is realizing that none of us is perfect,
and sometimes our weaknesses hurt each other....

 I have always tried to teach my children when they have come home frustrated from their experience with an unkind teacher, friend or even stranger is ...  that they should have compassion upon them.
They should look upon them and not see their miss-temper or their rudeness, 
but the extent to which they are obviously sad and miserable on the inside....
If anything, they should pray for peace for them.

After all, a truly happy person is not a rude person.
A happy person is not mean or cruel.
A truly happy person has peace within their hearts and souls...
A happy and I should add SANE person does not commit acts of violence.

How can you be angry at someone that is hurting so deeply and so obviously that is pours out of them in their actions (small or big)?

Now through my eyes when I see this tragedy in Connecticut...
Yes.  My heart is torn into SHREDS for the loss of these sweet souls..
Yes.  I am devastated by the horror of it...
Yes.  It is even hard for me to think about....
and did you say home school???

But, I do not see an evil young man that is at fault...
I see a society that has failed to meet his needs, and  those of his mother.
Clearly this young man needed help.
Before even knowing his history, 
which is riddled with obvious mental health issues, 
you can look at this situation and see help was needed...
How alone did his mother feel?
How frustrated?  ?  ?
and I would even imagine...   How judged?

We share our streets, neighborhoods, stores, schools, and lives with each other.
We need to care more about our neighbors.  
We need love more.  
We need more acts of kindness.
We need less selfishness.

How about giving just one night a week to help a neighbor in need,
or even just doing a kindness for them, baked cookies even?
If we all did one nice thing for someone else, just once a week,
it could change the world....

We need to use our mouths to spread love and joy.
Our Eyes to see the GOOD in people.
Our ears to hear those that are in need.
and 
Our hands to help each other....

"Often those that deserve kindness the LEAST, are the ones that NEED it the Most." 
- Author unknown

Here is to changing the world one act of kindness at a time....

Kids? Want  to  bake some cookies?

No comments:

html/java