Monday, October 8, 2012

Thoughts on missing...

Missing things...

Missing things is normal whenever you move somewhere new.

I know that.

However, I am the queen of sentimental.
I get attached to things, easily.
When you live somewhere,
you begin to absorb the area and it 'feels like home'...

The smell of the air, flowers, plants local to that area...
 The sights- the lovely contour of the land, the trees, the sunsets.
Each area has its own unique life to it...
Even the sounds, such as
sweet birds chirping, ocean waves on the sand,
the soft breeze rustling through leaves on the trees...
 (not car alarms or screaming neighbors, don't miss that)

Strangely, even the feel of the air is missed, sometimes.
(less humidity or temperatures)

All of  this makes an area 'feel like home'

Then add to that...

favorite hang outs...
Restaurants.
(that don't have MSG)
Beaches!
Mountains...
and OUR Disneyland...
Oh, and there is that language barrier thing...
and of course loved family and friends!

Ok.  Even Driving!
I spent 3-4 hours a day driving these faces around before.

While it might have seemed like I was in my car way too much,
I miss hearing about their days fresh as they were leaving school/practice!

Sometimes, especially when I am doing laundry,
which out here is annoying ...
(washing machine/dryer, I MISS YOU!)
or Grocery shopping,
also seriously annoying out here...
(WHERE IS MY TARGET OR COSTCO?)
I miss things more than other times.

Most times I am excited to explore a new area.
I love an adventure!

However, the other day I was feeling a bit more sentimental.
Life is different out here.
Not bad or anything, just different.
I was missing California and all that went with it...

Then, during dinner that I made from home.
Happened to be Mexican...
We were all sitting around the table, eating,
talking, laughing, enjoying dinner together as a family,
and in that moment,
 I realized things are not that different really.
Not the important things at least.


It gave me a greater appreciation of the small things
like a dinner at home with my family,
and how it doesn't matter where we are in the world.
Our family is the same,
and life is good.


And besides, with cute faces like this ...
Home is where the heart is!


Kids are becoming more independent, which is good.
They love it.
I know.
Even if I miss them!
 and
we do have a DISNEY,
even if it is not the same
and they have squid jerky instead of churros.

And I know if I left tomorrow
 there would be a million things I miss out here too!

Really.
It is a beautiful country...

Anyhow, keeping it real
and thinking about 'home' wherever that might be...

No comments:

html/java