Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cantonese (makes me laugh)


I laugh easily, it is true...
(ask my kids.)

But... really... How could I not?

Todd bought this little book of helpful Cantonese phrases/words.

We were looking at it together this morning.
(On the bus mind you, 
on the way to an early morning breakfast, before work date.  
Yes, I know.  SPOILED!)

I lost it.
(Hey, I believe Todd did a little too!)
Totally, started busting up hysterically.
SO INAPPROPRIATE.
SOOO wrong, in this bus FILLED with business clad peeps.

Why might you ask?
Well, because Todd can do that to me normally with a look,
but he pointed out there was a section on Body Parts.

He said to me, "Tamara, now this can be useful to know."
I won't say which body part he mentioned first, ahem...
But, I just tried to imagine saying 
ANY of these body parts without laughing.

I know.  I was being immature. 
Yah, but that is why Todd and I get along. :p

Go ahead, read the body parts and imagine saying them in context...
Try not to laugh. 


Now how EXACTLY these are pronounced the book is of no help.
The tone and way you pronounce the word makes all the difference...
For example:
(Example from Todd, btw, thanks Todd!)
Gow depending on the tone you pronounce it with 
could mean a variety of things.
Some of which:

9
or
dog 
or even
penis.

Yes.  You have to be careful with your tones, really.

I will leave with you a pretty picture,
to clear your mind of my silliness...

Well, a MOST Happy Friday to you from Hong Kong.

No comments:

html/java