Saturday, October 6, 2012

Foreign Fruit: Yellow Pitahaya

Today's Foreign Fruit Experience

Brought to you from:  Columbia!
(I know, we are in Asia, 
and we are getting to try fruit 
we have NEVER seen before 
from Columbia, strange.)

The fruit:   Yellow Pitahaya

Apparently, this fruit is really the fruit of a cactus in Columbia.

We had no clue that it was originally from a cactus.
Fortunately, the spikes had been removed.

The kids all cast their votes as to what it looked like inside:
Krystin:  Orange
Logan:  White
Kayla: whitish-yellow
(I personally thought it would be like a pineapple.)

We were shocked when it looked very similar to a DRAGON FRUIT inside!


Everyone gave it a try.

Krystin and Logan: Said tasted like a Lychee (but with seeds)
Kayla:  sweeter dragon fruit, but lychee like

Todd and I tried it too.  
I really liked it.  
Delish!  Sweet, juicy, seeds were fun and crunchy.  
Todd was less thrilled about the seeds. 

All in all - I think Yellow Pitahaya was a hit!
I would definitely get it again.
That is if we ever see it again!

Addendum:  I just realized the kids all used 'foreign fruit' to describe this fruits flavor.  Ha!

No comments:

html/java