Thursday, October 3, 2013

It's a Bird's Life...

When we moved to Hong Kong we each only brought two suitcases and whatever we could carry on the plane with us.  The pets sadly were not allowed a carry-on or a suitcase.  They were only allowed their very small travel cages.   We planned on getting the birds new rooms (aka cages)  when we arrived.  However, we did't realize that in Hong Kong not only are the living spaces for humans extra small, but so are the the cages for the birds.  We (being Todd, as he was out here when they arrived)  had the darnedest time finding anything remotely acceptable.  Finally, he found a couple of cages that would have to do, but they were small, heavy and looked like jail cells to me...    We have tried numerous times over the past year and a half to order cages online or find them in any other way, but the cost of shipping and lack of a guarantee that they would make it unharmed was prohibitive...   

When we went to Australia I made a list of things I wanted to get while I was there, on it was two bird cages.  Todd I am sure thought I was crazy, but really it was killing me to see the birds in those jail cells every day (even if they were out most of the time).  Your room should be a happy place, not scary.  

The birds' Hong Kong rooms:
So Sad...

It is like Xia is saying, save me!

and Indy was just beside herself....

Still, these sad Hong Kong rooms were much better than the travel cage that they had to hang in until we found them:

But alas, our little Princesses deserve to be able to stretch their wings and play!

Todd and I set out and found an actual Pet store, and they did in fact have bird cages!  They weren't the best quality, but they were not super heavy either, and they were about a million times better than the prison cells.
Bonus they were 60% off too, so super cheap for a bird cage!

They only had one in stock while I was there, but since Todd had to stay for an extra week the guy arranged to have one shipped over to his store from a different store.  

Picture from the Box and I was sold!
I just imagined my Inds happily sitting there.

Todd wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of taking his suitcase and two not-so-small boxes of bird cages home by himself.   I took back two large suitcases with me (which was the limit of what I could take), so he only had his one.  He was flying Business class so he had an extra luggage allotment, woohoo.   

 Still getting the boxes and the luggage to the check in was a bit tricky, I am sure!  

The cages weren't assembled, luckily, so they were actually smaller than they would have been!
We were both worried that they would be damaged between Australia and Hong Kong!

However, they made it safely!!! 

The birds were SOOO excited to get their new rooms, once they recovered from the shock. 
 They play all the time now, it was definitely worth the effort!  

Oh, life in Hong Kong and the things you take for granted, like being able to buy a decent bird cage!
Seriously, the fact we had to self import them from Australia is so crazy!

Bonus:  We bought Ember a harness.  We haven't quite figured out using it yet, 
but Krystin is hopeful to take her for walkies too.



No comments:

html/java