Monday, September 23, 2013

Feeling Helpless!

Last week, in between doctors and dental appointments for me and my girls (which with Krystin having an oral surgery scheduled was stressful) the thought crossed my mind, "Well, I don't have any appointments for Logan"...  As he is off at college now...  It was a mixed feeling. I was happy and proud of him that he was off making his way in the world, and sad too that he wasn't here...

I must have thought the thought too loudly, as I received a text from Logan Tuesday afternoon Hong Kong time, 10pm Monday Hawaii time.  He had been running after work, in the rain, on the cement and slipped... He fell back and the back of his head broke his fall...   OUCH!  Logan doesn't just run, he runs hard and FAST... I can't even IMAGINE how hard his head hit the cement, but he said people from across the way said they heard it smack, even through the sound of the rain!  Even just typing this is stressful for me... 

He texted me to let me know what happened, and I believe to have me tell him not to worry about it...  Well, while I might not be working as a nurse right now, my nurse instincts went into overload (accompanied with Mommy instincts)...  Head injuries are not something you want to mess with. :(  I asked him how he was feeling.  He said dizzy, nauseated with movement, bad headache (no doubt)...  All signs of a concussion! :(   I insisted he have someone look at him. Well, apparently there aren't ANY medical personnel available on campus after hours?????!   So, I asked him to find someone to take him to the E.R...  Nothing like having a head injury and having to stress about all this...  

It was SO incredibly hard for me to not be able to be there for him.  I couldn't look in his eyes and see if they were reacting equally.  I couldn't check on him at all, other than by a few questions on the phone...  I couldn't even take him to the doctor!  The hardest part was the reality that if something is wrong the soonest I could be there was maybe 18 hours, but more likely longer...   I felt completely and totally HELPLESS!!  It was a reality check that was seriously hard for me to swallow, and I did cry quite a bit about it... As a Mom, you want to be there for your kids... Todd did offer to send me out there, but really I was of more use in the next 24 hours being available to him, and hopefully he would be ok....He has always had a pretty hard head...  Besides the cost of the flight, ugh!

Logan's R.A. of his dorm, Tanner Farley, was awesome and drove him to the E.R.  He waited with him, and even arranged and helped to give him a blessing.  The E.R. doctor agreed he had what most likely was a mild concussion, but didn't do a catscan.  He did tell Logan he can go home, but he would have to have his roommate wake up every two hours and check on him.  If he got worse, he would have to come back. It was now 2am, and Logan's roommate didn't even know anything had happened and his phone was off. Tanner very kindly offered to have Logan stay the night on his sofa, and to keep an eye on him.   Thank You, Tanner!    

Logan was SUPPOSED to take Tuesday easy and rest, but even though I doubt he was asleep before 3am he attended his 7:30am Japenese class.  His head was still hurting, badly. I am sure lack of sleep didn't help. Luckily, on Tuesday he only has the one class. He talked to his boss at work, and she was kind and told him to rest.  He doesn't do rest very well...  He even went to a Japanese tutoring session that evening (to not get behind), but did try to rest a bit during the day.

He sent me this pic on Tuesday, Hawaii time...
Always good to see his face!

It has now been about a week since he hit his head, and while his head still hurts a bit (although, I am wondering if he is sleeping much) he seems to be doing well. Man oh man I worry about him!

I sure LOVE that boy and miss him so much too!!  I am grateful everyday to have him as my son, and December can't come soon enough (he is coming home for Christmas)!   I did make one request of him though, that being to please not RUN in the rain, especially on the cement at night ever again!  He agreed!

Funny side note:  Logan is a runner.  A long distance runner for YEARS.  He has the SLOWEST heart rate of anyone I have ever known, naturally.  His resting heart rate is usually in the low 40's.  Apparently, even after a concussion it didn't change, so the hospital staff was concerned and asked him if it was normal for him.  (Normal is usually 60-100bpm).  For him, yes 46 is normal.  

   

No comments:

html/java