Monday, September 9, 2013

Logan's off to BYU-Hawaii!

Logan left on Monday Sept. 2nd, to start the next chapter of his story....

 At - BYU -Hawaii!

We are so proud of how hard Logan has worked on his academics, his leadership skills, his athletics, with volunteering, and all the many areas that have helped him to accomplish his goals!
He is truly a person that LOVES all facets of learning and does so with great integrity and character. 

I am struggling just a little bit with the shock that this super cute, math loving, brilliant, rather shy, lovey-kindergartner (that wanted to sit on my lap for his Kinder school picture) is old enough to go off ON HIS OWN to University!

It has now been a week since Todd and I hugged him and kissed him good bye and sent off on a plane.  I honestly couldn't post before now, because I was still a bit in shock....
Even though I am excited for him, and so proud of him, it was still SUPER hard to send my baby-boy off on his own (knowing I probably won't see him til Christmas BREAK!).  I mean he has been around me all the time for the past 18+ years!  

It has now been a week, so I have had some time to watch (from a distance) as he becomes more and more independent, and  to experience him becoming the man I always knew him to be!  So... It is time to record this momentous occasion!  Even if seeing his mint chip ice cream in the freezer tonight made me totally cry!  Don't worry, Todd and I ate it to remedy the problem.  
Thanks, Logan!  It was delicious!

Before he left, I took him for one last hair cut. 
Normally, he would go by himself, but for this occasion I went with.

Nice! 

 Logan gave Ember a little lovin'... 

We had two 'Good Bye' meals.
Logan chose - Pizza! 


And the American style Breakfast place! 

Needless to say, I think he misses 'home' food!

I am SERIOUSLY going to miss having these three together!

He wasn't able to bring many things with him to college, 
but his Graduation Duffy made the cut! 

Todd and I bought Logan Disney luggage for college.
After all of our traveling, we have an appreciation for strong luggage, and luggage that is EASY to find and doesn't blend in! 

Todd and I took Logan to the airport, and had a quick lunch with him before sending him on his way. I was trying so hard to be good and NOT cry, but failed miserably... 

Todd did a much better job, but I know he was crying on the inside. 


We watched as he went through security, and I cried some more, and Todd comforted me... 

Sometimes things line up in a way that you just feel like there is more to the chaos....
The majority of the busy airport was filled with people of Asian decent (we are in Asia, makes sense).  Well, there happened to be a red headed slightly older gentleman behind Logan in the security line.  I did notice him look back at Todd and me a couple of times and smile tenderly.  He spoke to Logan and said, "So, which University are you off to?".  He told Logan by looking at his parents he could tell what was happening. Ha!  Logan told him BYU- Hawaii.  Well, as fate would have it...  This gentleman's daughter also attended BYU Hawaii.  He was just passing through Hong Kong going home to  New Zealand.  What are the odds?  The college only has a population of 2500 students even, and this gentleman was from New Zealand passing through...  Yah.

Logan humored me and sent me a couple more pics before taking off.
Such a cutie! Love him! 
 even a bear shot!

Kayla made him a little-tiny yellow squid to take with!
(He named it Raven.)

The next 20 ish hours were a bit rough.  He had to fly for about 16 hours and had a connection in S. Korea.  His phone didn't work when he landed in Hawaii, so I had to wait to hear from him until he could find some free internet.  He was awesome though and sent me a message as soon as he was able letting me know all was well.

This last week he finished securing the part time job he had applied for before leaving, opened his first bank account (we could not do it from Hong Kong), set up a phone service, and even figured out the laundry machines.  Besides all of the college items, like figuring out his dorm, orientations galore, TB test requirements, books and so on!   Needless to say, even amid jet lag, and NO air conditioning in the dorms he is doing awesome!

This was the first picture he sent me in Hawaii. 

He told me he has a 'ginger from Nevada' as a roommate who is super chill, which is awesome! He is really enjoying the 'culture' of the University.  He keeps telling how beautiful it is there, even if it is currently warm and the dorms don't have air conditioning.  Beside the academics which Logan is so excited about, he truly values the health standards on campus.  I respect him so much for convictions to live a healthy, life of character.   He is a true gem.  

One challenge he has expressed to me is that  the unlimited dining plan that he has with his dorm is a bit dangerous, as the food is DELICIOUS (of course he has just spent over a year in Asia)!  

Well, tomorrow (Hawaii time) is his first official day of classes!

Happy 1st day at BYU- Hawaii - Logan!

We all Love you sooo MUCH!

No comments:

html/java