Friday, May 3, 2013

Junk in Sai Kung


We were invited to spend a day on a Junk in Sai Kung this past weekend.
The kids love to tell Junk jokes.  Oh my.  Junk just has a totally different connotation to us American folks.  The people out here, just don't get the humor...

Our friend, Michelle,  invited us to join in the celebration of her eldest son's 13th birthday.  She also happens to be a runner.  Krystin and Logan adore her, and were even able to run at the same club for a while.  She has been running marathons for years, and had told me months ago that she was going to run the Boston Marathon and that was going to be it.  Apparently, the Boston Marathon is a popular one to end with. I didn't know.  My kids told me.  After that, she was going to eat chocolate and enjoy.  LOL!  I respect that! I don't really follow marathons and when they are, but when the news was riddled with the Boston Marathon tragedy, she was the first one that popped into my mind. Fortunately, she is fast and finished long before everything happened.   It is strange how small the world seems sometimes...   We were very thankful for the internet, and how quickly we were able to find out she was safe!

Anyhow, Hong Kong weather is CRAZY!
I think Hong Kong's weather has a mood disorder.
Often it is gray and a bit gloomy, which isn't bad when it is cool.
Some days it is bright and and sunny, blindingly sunny with the haze.
Then, other times it pretends to be a beautiful sunny day and then out of nowhere it is the worst rain storm, and craziest wind that you have seen.  Umbrellas are something you do not want to leave home without.
(Not that they really help when the wind is gusting to the point that the rain is coming down diagonally.)

The kids had  track finals only a couple days before our ride on the Junk, and it had been sunny, HOT, HUMID and balmy most of the week.  Pretty miserable.   The morning of the Junk trip we packed our swim suits, ready for the heat and swimming!

It was cool and gray.
Not even a blink of sunlight!
So crazy!   At least it did NOT rain.

Where is Sai Kung did you ask?
We hadn't been there before, so we were excited to check it out.
It is pretty much one of the furthest points in Hong Kong from where we live.
Check it out:

What I have discovered is that Hong Kong has a very distinct look to it.
I love the feel of Hong Kong.
Everywhere you look, you see ocean and small uninhabited islands peaking up from the sea, usually shrouded in gray.
It almost feels like you are in a dream.

Onto photo-overload.




When I hear riding on a 'junk' on the ocean, I picture this:




What am I going to do when the kids leave me?
They are so awesome!



Doesn't look Junky to me.




Michelle chatting with Kayla

Michelle's hubby, Paul.




Dragon boat team.


The teens were all jumping off the boat and swimming around in the open sea.
Logan was deciding if he should join them.


Why was he hesitant?
Well, because there were super sized jelly fish swimming around the boat.
Like the size of a volley ball. No, thank you!

He decided what the heck!

Surprisingly, no one got stung!

There was a super cuteness on the boat.

Fun.  Daddy daughter jumping.
Brave little girl!
Well, her Dad can walk on water! Ha!

Fun group.


Of course, the squids came too!

I did mention this was a teen party, yes?

Why is she so cute?!




I know.  I know.  Stop picture stalking the baby!


What were my girls doing while all the craziness was happening?

Love these pants.  He made them himself even!



Strangely, my kids were the old kids on the boat.

Ok, Michelle is amazing!
I have never been to an event where all three kids were super excited about the food.
She made, from scratch, lunch rolls for everyone (30 people, 3 rolls each)!
With meat and cheese, kids were in heaven.
They were seriously good!

Todd apparently showed the kids a video of some guy with a shark in Sai Kung a few months back.  I didn't see it, fortunately.  Not that we aren't accustomed to sharks in the water.  It just seems more creepy out in the middle of the water on a boat, and it is so gray that the water looks black.  Creepy!  
Can you hear the Jaws theme song?  I can!
We were told not to worry about it, because there is a strong SHARK NET around the beach.

Well, if you look at this picture the yellow line marks the net.  
Most of the day the kids just swam around the boat on the WRONG side of the net. 
Also, you have to swim TO the shark net, from the boat, hmm.  
Am I the only one that sees a problem in the safety of the net plan?





The kids were so cute!


These guys were cute too!

Kids braving the sharks coming back
They weren't afraid of the giant jelly fish, why would the idea of sharks even bother them?

They all made it!

 I was so excited about the homemade rolls...
Little did I know, Michelle also made homemade cupcakes (with amazing frosting). 

The birthday boy with his awesome parents! 

It was an awesome day!

No comments:

html/java