Sunday, July 15, 2012

Food Allergies - SUCK!

Sorry, 
But, there is really no other way to put it.

Food allergies are HORRIBLE....

In the U.S.
I already knew I was sensitive to preservatives....
I knew there were places I couldn't eat
or I would get sick...

Lets not even get started on Airplane food,
if I EVER ate any that contained meat
I would throw up and other unmentionables within 2 hours...
Stupid preservatives.
(The Vegetarian option, btw, doesn't make me sick!)

So.....
I can't blame Hong Kong.



Beautiful Hong Kong...


For Its' LOVE of MSG!

I always knew I was sensitive to MSG, 
--GRRRRRR, MSG---
Ikedea Kikunea, really, WHY?!
but it is not overly prevalent in the U.S.
(due to awareness)
So, I didn't know HOW really sensitive I was to it...
and how many things it can be used in...
(DRINKS too, really?! arrgghhh)

MSG sensitivity is not a true food allergy, btw.
It is more or less a sensitivity to the chemical,
which causes a host of reactions.

Rashes
Heart palpitations
Digestive issues
head aches
and more

Basically, makes you miserable...

Everyone has their own tolerance level to MSG.
Most people can handle a pretty decent level without issue...
Other people have a lower tolerance, yep, me...
(Actually, Todd and Krystin have discovered they are sensitive too,
 not as bad, but still should avoid large amounts)

Out here they consider MSG the 6th taste.
Like this chemical somehow transforms 
ok food into divine.

Why?
WHYYYY?

 The worst part.

I LOVE Chinese food!
I love the homemade dim sum.
YUUUMMMY!!!

It is a bummer to worry if you eat something,
 if it will make you sick.

Which, has greatly heightened my appreciation for those
with actual food allergies and how frustrating eating out MUST be.

But, just like at home in the U.S.
I had to figure out which foods work for me,
which places to AVOID,
so I guess that is probably true anywhere you live!

As an aside,
it is funny to try and order food without MSG...
Usually, they have no clue what you are saying
when you ask for No MSG (even in canto).
Or they think you are crazy for not wanting it, not sure.???

Hey, MSG isn't good for you anyhow.
I should probably just thank my body for trying to keep me healthy!

P.S.  Did you know that Parmesan cheese has MSG in it, as a normal ingredient, that and MOST Ranch salad dressings do as well?  Live and Learn...  

No comments:

html/java