Sunday, September 16, 2012

1st Visitors to HK!

Last week we had our very first CA visitors!

We were pretty excited.  

Our friends, Doug and Betty, 
from our old home town of Mission Viejo
happened to be out this way last week.

Doug had business out here,
so that meant Betty was free to play!

It was really neat to be able to share some of the things 
we love in Hong Kong with them.
Although, they weren't here nearly long enough.

Betty is a very talented seamstress, 
and really wanted to see if she could find some fun local fabric.
Out here everything seems to be in 'districts'.
Most of the Vets are all in one location.
Anime in another.
Electronics, Sports, oh you get the idea.
Well, I hadn't found the fabric district yet.

So, Kayla and I set out to find it before Betty got here.
We researched and asked around, 
and journeyed to find it -yay we were successful!

We had to train down to Central.
Then take a Tram (which we hadn't done before!)
 
 We were getting a bit silly.
 We were told the best place to find fabric
was at a place called
Western Market
 Every where you looked on the 2nd floor was fabric!

 YAY!

All this shopping made us hungry, luckily...
Just outside the door was a bakery.
Each bakery has a slightly different flair.

 It is fun to try all the different types of baked goods!
Yum!

We decided to wander around a little bit 
on the street and look around, on our way back.


Sometimes the names of the street make me laugh!!!
 
 There were little street markets lining the small alley ways.
Kay was excited to find this little shop.
Anime Expo?
 and we found LOTS more fabric

I was excited to have somewhere to show Betty when she arrived!

On Monday, 
I showed Betty how to use the MTR.
She was a natural, and I believe Loved it like we do!
We headed down and shopped for fabric,
and wandered around the street markets,
and got called into this little Asian silk shirt store.
Normally, I am a little intimidated by how aggressive the people are.
This lady who spoke pretty awesome English seemed nice.
Although, she kept looking at me and Betty and telling us
not to worry she had sizes to fit our 'Healthy' European bodies!
Oh my, she just kept saying how 'healthy' we were over an over.
Hmn... 
First time being called healthy every made me a little uncomfortable.
But, we had each other, so we were brave,
and we each got a top. (:
I got short sleeved, an she got a beautiful jacket.
I wish I had a pic of Betty in hers!
She looked amazing!
Don't I look healthy? LOL! 
Oh my...

You would never have guessed this woman just flew in the night before.
She had no signs of jetlag!
I think I felt more jetlagged than she did,
and I didn't go anywhere!?

Tuesday,
She indulged me in experiencing my FAVORITE thing out here.
We went on the Nong Ping Cable Cars!!!

It was a beautiful day, warm, but beautiful.
Fortunately, she is NOT afraid of heights,
and genuinely loved it.




 We shared Bean Curd soup and Sago Pudding 
(they are both desserts, btw).
They were both pretty good too!
 and just enjoyed how peaceful and beautiful it is up there.

 We even got Keychains! aawwww.. (:

That evening,
after then menfolk finished work...
We took them to a MUST see spot in Hong Kong.
Victoria's Peak.
It has a 360 degree view far above the tall buildings and city below.
It is breathtaking.
We dined in a little Japanese Restaurant that shared the peak's view.
 and of course we had to take the Victoria Peak Tram.
At some points the Tram is at a 90 degree angle.
It is really weird to see skyscrapers zooming by 
at almost perpendicular angles.
 Betty and Doug
(aren't they cute?!)


Weds 
I wanted to take Betty on a Ferry!
We decided to brave the heat and head to Lamma Island.
(It isn't  llama, but sounds the same so I love it all the more)
It was SUPER Hot and Humid that day.
Actually, one of the hottest days of the year,
but Betty is seriously tuff.
She didn't even looked bothered by the heat.
I am pretty sure I was melting. 


We had streetside waffles and shopped in the little stores,
and then took the 'short' hike to the beach to put our feet in the Ocean.  
So much fun!!! 

They only had a few days here, 
but it was awesome to have them visit!

No comments:

html/java