Monday, November 7, 2011

Thoughts on Gratitude...

Gratitude.


November, the month synonymous with words of appreciation.
(at least in the US)


A time to reflect on what is MOST important in life.


Everywhere I look.
I see comments and posts of appreciation.
It is a good reminder,
and it is refreshing.


I LOVE positive-energy!


All of these words of gratitude have caused me to reflect, though...


It really amazes me how easy it is to take simple things for granted.


Like the ability to drive to and from to pick up my kids.
Seriously, I drive 2-3 hours (minimum) a day 
just dropping off and picking them up.
I find myself not appreciating what a BLESSING it is, sometimes.
But, HELLO, I have a car that works that gets me there and back,
but MOST importantly,
I am ABLE to be the one to take them to and from.
(With some help from Todd!)
I get to send them off and pick them up with love.
I am so LUCKY to be able to drive them.


Even, seemingly simple things...
Such as the ability to breath, run, walk, 
and essentially live a pretty healthy life is easy to take for granted.


Being healthy is not a right, but a privilege.


It reminds me that we have a responsibility 
to show our gratitude through our actions...
Saying you are grateful for your health is good,
but living healthy is better.


Not everyone has a choice about their health,
but most do.
What you put in your body is a choice.
Whether you exercise is a choice.
For some reason a challenging choice.
HOW I LOVE CHOCOLATE.


My goal is to show my gratitude through my actions.
Such as choose fruit instead of candy.
I have always told my children  fruit is "Nature's Candy"


Live your gratitude...
even in small ways.


The number one thing I see people expressing gratitude for
is
Family...


That would be mine as well.


Then why is it---
It is so easy to take for granted those that we love...?


Why is it that those people that we would give our own lives for 
are the ones we tend to not show gratitude as readily?
In fact, we are probably a bit shorter tempered and brattier towards?
Seems illogical, but I know I am guilty of it too.


Honestly.


Gratitude is not shown just in the phrase, 
"I am thankful for you"...


but,


It is found in actions, deeds and the way we treat those we love.


The way we live should show what we are grateful for...


So, instead of  just stating what I am grateful for this month
I am going to TRY and SHOW my gratitude
through my actions.


I have a goal to be more patient, more loving, and more tolerant.
Also, to be MORE present and less distracted.
My children are always expressing that I am distracted, which is often true.  
So much to do and going on all the time, 
but nothing is more important than they and my hubby are, nothing.


"To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, 
to enact gratitude is generousness and noble, 
but to live gratitude is to touch heaven."
      - Johannes A. Gaertner

May we live in a way that we at least aspire to touch heaven....

No comments:

html/java