Thursday, February 24, 2011

Journey Home

The journey from India back to LA is a bit grueling, especially when you don't have your cute travel buddy to cuddle up to.   It is a little longer than the journey to India - spinning of the Earth and head winds and all.  Also, depends on your path.  The way out we went through Germany.  The way back - I went through South Korea.

First of all, here are some of my recommendations:

1st - before you set out on a journey that is approx 27 hours from airport to your home - make sure you do NOT leave after 3:30am, and make sure to sleep the night before - really do NOT stay up til 4 am and get up by 7am that day before...  Bad idea.

2nd:  when you are looking at the seat plan on the plane - don't focus as much on having the seat next to you free, as much as the seat BEHIND YOU.  more on that in a bit.

3rd - really - travel with a travel buddy.  The window is not very warm or cuddly...  and i couldn't stop coughing so the little asian lady on my first flight through on a mask and looked scared.  what to do.

Anyhow, journey home....

We were super exhausted and didn't eat dinner after Todd's work day completed, so when we were at the airport at 1am we were a little hungry, and look what we found!
Now, I had no clue but apparently I am an ice cream snob.  
I mean it looks like ice cream, but tastes like - i don't know.
Todd seemed to like his.  
I could only handle half a scoop.
and my tummy was NOT feeling well.

Man - I miss that guy!  
SO SAD!!!

Ok.   just to clarify.  Originally we were going to fly home together on Friday, and then Todd's work had to jump through some legal loop holes to find a way for him to fly to Hong Kong, as he doesn't have a work Visa.  Hmn...  Sounds a little scary to me....   So, HK was up in the air.  But, they supposedly found a way.  


Well, Zoey was excited to head home!
Even though, she was going to miss Zigster.

My plane was delayed an hour an a half, which was fine.  My stop over in Korea was for 4 hours, so just cut some of that time off.
big plane..
In case you are curious about airplane food.  Shortly, after boarding I was given this little sandwich thing.  Odd. they cut off the crust.  My tummy wasn't super happy, so I just ate a bite or two. Some sort of chicken thing.
 

a few hours later (which should have been breakfast time)
they served us this... Mmmm more chicken.  
Uhm, Where IS my brownie?

The first flight was not super long, just over 6 hours, but I couldn't sleep, cause I KEPT COUGHING!
Cough drops didn't help.
Bottle of water didn't help...

Korea airport was super cool!
It is brand new and set up for the commuter.
Only problem, my adapter didn't fit in the plug (kept falling out, so I couldn't charge anything)
 Yes, the Korea Airport has a Dunkin donuts.
too bad wasn't feelin' up for it.
 best idea ever...
 Oh, and as an FYI...
At Korean airport. 
Even if you buy the bottled water there (after going through security again)
They will take it from you as your board the plane.  
Yes, they will.
They go through your bags.
And even if you explain you need it, cause your coughing - doesn't matter.


 Ok, so back to the choose your seat wisely thing.  Back in India, while waiting for my flight there were these two cute little Indian girls about 2 and 4 years old (with their granparents, i am guessing).  It was 3 am when we left.  They were a bit cranky and loud.  I gave them some little kid playing cards to placate their tantrums (don't ask why I had them on me), and hoped they would not be anywhere near me on the plane.  I was tired.  First flight - score - entirely different section.  Their wines and screams were buffered. YES!

Second flight...  the 11.5 hour flight.  The SCREAMER was directly behind my seat!   Seriously.   Apparently, she has a SERIOUS allergy to sitting still and wearing seat belts.  yes, i understand.  I have three kids.  I understand.  But, I didn't feel well, and was exhausted...    Oh, and apparently, screaming is not her only means of communicating frustration, she also felt the need to kick my seat repeatedly and take the tray and slam it over and over... And as I was laying my head on my pillow - she tried to grab it from me!  I have limits little girl.  I mean come on, she has her own.  I was like AWESOME!  

Then, I remembered, Todd bought me some awesome head phones.  Earbud type, most don't fit my ears, cause my ears are too small.   don't ask.  anyhow, perfect ear buds, block out even the screaming of a little one!!!!  Magic.  And  then. I never thought I would be so thankful for EXTREME turbulence on the flight.  Barely even felt the wild kicker.   I actually got a little rest!   

Zoe's and I had fun watching the Plane GPS
 Zoey longing for home.

I was so thankful to reach home!!!
LAX was wonderful. 
So nice.
New perspective!!!

Well, I planned my flight to land in time for me to run home, shower and be able to pick up my sweet kids from school!  Yes, zombie Mommy - but still Mommy there for them!  


Now, I am home!  
I am still not feeling 100%, but really I missed a couple night's sleep.
It will be a little bit I am sure.

I am still coughing too.  grrrr.  I don't do well with dusty air at all.  So allergic.  

and I am hoping that this little diddy doesn't have any consequences...
 
 Yes.  a stupid, darn MOSQUITO bit me the first day I was there.  
7 days later - the bite is almost gone...

Yah, what did the CDC say - Delhi has an extreme incidence of Dungue fever right now.  
Awesome!  
Here's to hoping, I got bit by one of the NON-Malaria or Dungeu fever mosquitos.

Todd is going on to Hong Kong in about 12 hours.
I left him my camera, so he can continue the journey. (:

I miss him way too much. 
It is kind of ridiculous how much.  

Any how, take care and I am sooo happy to be home!


1 comment:

bubdaddio said...

whew! I wondered how it went with your trip home. Sorry you are under the weather but getting no rest for days in "INDIA" can kinda compromise your immune system a bit. A bit more rest and some non-curried foods like Pedros and you'l be back on track.
I sure hope Todd has time to take the travelogue over through the China adventure or when he gets home. We pray for good health and a prosperous trip for Todd.

html/java