Sunday, February 20, 2011

India - Day 3 - Taj Mahal (part 1)

Since, connectivity is SOOO SLOW here.  I am going to post pics in 2 parts.  Seriously over 2 hours to upload these pics.

India is a very strange place.   It is to be expected really, thousands of years of history folded upon itself, culture pouring through the cracks of ancient buildings, poor and destitute everywhere, intermingled with all manner of wildlife...  Animals and PEOPLE alike can be seen 'using the facilities' in the middle of the roads.   Seriously, the men urinating was a little less disturbing, then the men that felt completely comfortable (on the side of the road way) doing the 'do'...   Yah....  hmn....  


Todd and I took the journey to the Taj Mahal today.   It is a 4 plus hour drive each way.   Normally, when I think of a four hour drive, it is not a stressful thought.  I love long car drives with my sweety, specially when neither of us has to actually do the driving.   Even if we were to leave at 5am.

The drive, though, is anything but relaxing.   I don't know if you have played the race car game called "Smash and Drive"...  Well, I felt like I was some unwitting participant in the much more intense Indian version.   It is kind of funny, because there was a sign on the road that stated, "Lane driving, is safe driving"...  Normally, I wouldn't get it...  Oh man, do I get it.  Indian people do NOT drive in lanes at all.  They drive between them, around them, next to them, heck - why even stay on the road at all.  Up over walls that have come down, and red lights and stop signs, merely a suggestion - why stop?!   And don't let us forget the byclist, people with bovine, camels, or donkeys that share the roads, as well as the free range cows, dogs, goats, horses, and today pigs!   So a four hour drive, is a little intense.  I am actually quite impressed with the reflex time and spacial abilities of the indian people.  They tuck away the side mirrors, and literally pass between cars with maybe an inch to spare.  Crazy.   I took a couple little videos, but will have to upload tomorrow.  Slow internet and I need sleep soon.  (Todd has been sleeping for over an hour).  (;

Before we leave - just real quick - Silly Zoey liked the flowers at the hotel.
 Ok, Z&Z on Daddy's leg in the car ready to go.

We left well before the sun rose, about 2 hours of darkness...


as the sun did begin to rise ...  it was amazing.

 India is VERY MOIST.  
You can barely see anything through the thick haze, mixed with the smoke from the many outside fires that were being burned for warmth. 
Oh, and did I mention - India smells YUCK!   

But the sunrise was amazing.
 everywhere you look, old buildings...
 most with people and animals living in and around them...



 It is hard to tell, but there were little houses that appeared to be made of clay
on the side of the road, along with the many make shift shacks...

traffic is crazy...

Oh, and there are MONKEYS everywhere!
We even saw a kid with a huge one tethered to a rope, 
so wish I could have gotten that pic (but we were in the car zippin' along)
 
And every Vehicle is a carpool vehicle...
Did You know you can fit a family of FOUR on a motorcycle,
and that the women ride side saddle on said motorcycle.  
All I could think is one good bump and it won't be pretty.
Monkey- butts

As we neared the Taj Mahal, we got our first glimpse of the ancient river that runs next to it...

I SHOULD have taken pictures of when we parked at the Taj Mahal.
It was a site.
PEOPLE TONS of people - EVERYWHERE...
And camel drawn carts,
and destitute selling items (very aggressively)...
A little overwhelming, honestly...

I have a ton more pics, but I will have to add them tomorrow.  
Need sleep. 
Here is a little tease.  









Love to everyone, til tomorrow.  
I hope I can get the short video clip of how noisy the road it up tomorrow.  
I know you don't want to miss it!  

No comments:

html/java