Thursday, November 21, 2013

Foreign Fruit: China Sopadilla

Going through the produce section at the local grocery store is kind of like reaching your hand into a magician's black hat.  You know there is going to be something good in there, but you are not sure what to expect!

The other day while shopping, I saw these little beauties.
I don't recall seeing them before. I was so excited!

I believe they are called:
Chinese Sopadillas
The English name is always masked by the Chinese....

They are about the size of an oblong apple, I guess.
No outward scent.

Inside they look more like a melon! 

Although, their seeds kind of make a brain like pattern, strange! 

The girls, Todd, and I tried it.
Todd and the girls didn't like it that much.
They thought it tasted like a potato-apple.
I could definitely see the potato flavor, it was mild, but I thought more potato-melon.
Melonish texture too.
It wasn't bad, but not sweet enough for our American taste-buds.

I like to include the pets too in the taste test when I can.
I SHOULD have had my camera out when I first offered it to Ember.
She took one lick (it was a HUGE piece. I didn't think she would actually eat it), and then practically took my finger off she ate it so fast and grabbed it out of my hand.
BTW, Bearded dragons have very sharp, tiny teeth.
She ate another piece straight down, and then we thought to video her.
She was insulted by being put on display and would only humor us with a little lick. 

Indy LOVED hers too. 


Xia, not so much...

There you have it.
The Chinese Sopadilla.
Look for them in your local grocer.  You never know they just might appear by magic!

No comments:

html/java