Tuesday, June 11, 2013

1 Year in HK!

We have officially been here for one year!

It has been a busy, eventful year for sure.   We have grown a lot, learned a lot, and gained a greater appreciation for the diversity of cultures on our planet.   I find it interesting that however different we may appear culturally, the core of who we are as PEOPLE seems to shine through in the same way.   As I look around, anywhere we might be, I see couples holding hands, parents loving their babies, and friends laughing together....    It is a beautiful thing really!

So, at the one year mark...  How is it going?

Ok.  Let's be honest here...

There are some things I am having a pretty hard time adjusting to:

1.  No REAL Washer/dryer   - That micro thing that is in my KITCHEN does not count.  It can't even wash two towels without the chance of breaking.  I MISS washing my clothes the way I want to wash them.  That and knowing that my clothes won't disappear going to the laundry lady.  That being said, all of our laundry for the week is done within a few hours.  I still have to refold and sort, but it is pretty fast.

2.  NO CAR:  Shopping is a serious pain!  I am still adjusting to the fact I can't do a 'shop' for the week.  I can only carry so much home, even with help.  Try it.  Go to the local grocery store. Buy all your groceries for a week, without your car, and carry them home.  Not super easy.  I know.  No car insurance, no gas, and just imagine how tone my arm muscles are....  Yah.

3.  Target:   I miss TARGET.  I even had a dream last night that I was going shopping there. Sadly, I woke up before going in!!!  Target,  I miss you my friend.  Oh, to be able to get all things in one place...   

I feel better.  Got that off my chest... Phew!

So...  What is our plan?

Well, in May we actually were really considering going back to the states for a few reasons.  Todd had an opportunity to make it happen.   Why didn't we?  Actually, we had everything secured, set, and ready to go....   We were going to start heading out in a few days...  All the paperwork for the pets was ready to go and everything.  Remember, I miss Target. I was serious...   

Well, before we moved to Hong Kong, I spent months verifying every last detail with all governmental agencies for our pets.  I made sure and got everything in WRITING form the agencies that our birds could come back at any time (we were moving to BIRD FLU land.  I knew that).   I knew they would have to return on condition of a 30 day quarantine, but they said the quarantine could be completed inside our home.  I have it in writing....   Well, at the last minute, as we were getting the last couple of papers for the birds, all the while everyone kept assuring us home quarantine would be fine, and might not even be necessary, the government changed their minds... They told us that the birds would be required to go to  the 'bird government quarantine facility'....   Apparently, something changed in the last year, maybe it was that new strain of avian flu that is popping up. I don't know....  It isn't in Hong Kong, but the U.S. said absolutely NO to home quarantine.

I don't know if you know anything about 'government bird quarantine' but is SERIOUSLY awful.   30 days.  30 days where they are in some plastic bubble of a cage.  You CANNOT visit them.  You can't see them.  They are not allowed to be handled at ALL, except when they are taken out by a person in what appears to be a hazmat (sp?) suit to be placed in a little bag and have medical tests done.  Oh, and they can't accommodate special diets, we hand make our birds food multiple times a day.  They are Lories it is a requirement.  Baby birds are not allowed in quarantine because of this reason even.  All birds will be fed a diet with medication in it, because NONE of the birds in the facility have been tested for illness BEFORE arriving.   So, essentially, the birds would be tortured emotionally and physically for 30 days, and put at risk of getting something.... There is Not even a CHANCE that I would EVER agree to that. I tried to get an exception or to complete the quarantine in the government facility here first.  I offered to have them tested as well...  They have no birds in the facility here ever and you can stay with the birds all day and love on them, so while it would be inconvenient it would be doable.  They said  Nope. No exceptions.

So...  We will be in Hong Kong for the foreseeable future.  

But, that is Ok!  Even though Hong Kong doesn't have a Target, YET! (I am holding out hope).  We all do LOVE Hong Kong.  I know we would be pining to return to Hong Kong if we left.  There is something really magical about this little country nestled off the coast of China.  There are so many opportunities to explore as well.   The proximity to Japan is exciting too.  Seriously, Japan Disney by the Sea is amazing!!!  I mean not only is Shelly Mae (Duffy's girlfriend there), but they have chocolate churros!  I know.  Japan is awesome in other great ways too.  I have a trip there on my wish list.   Also, it seems there is so much chaos and violence in the world, and at this time Hong Kong is very stable and calm.  I love that our children (adult children even) can live in a safe, bustling country, and are free to go out without worry.  

Ultimately, after a year in Hong Kong, we still love it!
I think knowing we will be here for a while helps to feel more committed and settled.  Now to seriously work on that Cantonese!  I am signing the kids up for classes all summer.  :)

I am grateful for the adventure, and for being able to share this experience with our kids as well.
Before we know it, they will be all paving their ways in different directions around the world, so I am just going to enjoy the here and now and the great memories we can make together....  
Even if there is NO Target....   
(They do have an IKEA!)


No comments:

html/java