Monday, February 10, 2014

TNT in New York (Jan)


The last time we were in New York together was February of 2009...

We thought it was cold then!
(Pic from NY 2009)

Apparently, we still don't have a true understanding of what cold is....

Seriously, Hong Kong's mostly temperate or warm climate isn't helping.

Oh... No.  It wasn't cold then.  
We went to New York this time, the last week of January, 
and apparently during a record BREAKING cold, below freezing.
We are so not equipped for that kind of thing.
Logan's gift of a Duffy scarf saved me from turning into an icicle. 

Ok, back on subject!

Yes, we went to New YORK for like 4 days...
FOUR COLD DAYS...

Anyhow, Todd bought my ticket with his miles.
Well, apparently when you use miles for a ticket, and if you have a 'silver' standing with the marco polo club (which I do) it makes you eligible for an upgrade.  It has NEVER ONCE HAPPENED.
We went through great lengths to make sure our seats were next to each other.
We checked in online, and everything was set!  Well, when we arrived to the airport to check our luggage, the lady told ME that I had been upgraded to business class.  Now mind you I have never flown business, only heard tale of how amazing it is from Todd, and walked by it a million times on flights to get to the economy section (which doesn't bother me a bit).  Oh and the flight to New York from Hong Kong direct is 16 hours each way.   When the Cathay lady handed me the Business class ticket, and Todd's was NOT upgraded, I didn't think twice about it.  I told her, "No thanks.  I want to sit by my husband."...    She picked up the phone and called someone and spoke in Cantonese for a while.  Well, apparently, they had given away my seat, so they upgraded Todd TOO!  Shock and Awe. Let me tell you!

I won't lie.  I was really excited.  I would never pay out of pocket that much for plane flight, but if they want to give it to me for free and upgrade my man too!!!  SWEET!  Thank you!
They even had seats next to each other.

Cathay Pacific's Business class is nicer than any thing I have seen.
You have an entire section to yourself, and your seat lies completely flat.
Can you say - HEAVEN!  ??? !!

Todd was a bit excited too!

A toast upon take off - A special little Rosewater, honey drink for the Business Class peeps.  
Yes, Todd has told me all about them (and the amazing chocolates, which are in fact amazing).

Even a little spot for my Duffy. 

Seriously, Todd was super happy! It was cute. 

We stayed in Manhattan, and didn't have much time to explore but enjoyed Bagels more than should be allowed.   MY GOD.  Seriously, who KNEW a bagel could be that good?!

The Hotel we were staying at was so cute!
It made us think of Logan the entire time.  There were cute little Giraffe themed pics and books everywhere.  Logan loves Giraffes or has since he was tiny, if you didn't guess.  :)

We were totally jet-lagged the entire time.
13 hour time difference is a bit intense, especially when it is super cold out.

This is what Jet-lag looks like. 

Silly three coat, trying to stay warm shots. 





Duffy Chilling. 

Ok...  When I get bored, maybe I take pics with my bear. 


Should I be embarrassed?  Nah... 

To leave the city you have to take a tunnel!


Oh, and they talk about traffic in California.????
Oh no, NYC is much worse. 

Did you know that it SNOWS in New York?
I had no clue. 



All the trees looked so sad to me.
Todd kept reassuring me that while yes they were dead, they would in fact live again. 

City skyline. 

Oh, as a warning to those crazy enough to drive in the city.
The New York people are invincible to cars smashing into them.
Ok, maybe not really, but they sure act like it.

Seriously, constant people just running in front of the car.

The sky was beautiful...

Did you know that the Ocean in New York freezes?
These are not rocks.  They are ice chunks on the shoreline. 

We were impressed how the city skyline, against the ocean reminded us of our Hong Kong Home.

Well, minus the smog. 

Short trip...  Really. Just long enough to spin your head and throw off your circadian rhythm for a week.
Oh, if you are wondering, NO the airline RUDELY didn't upgrade us on the way back.  The nerve!?!  Do they not know how spoiled we were and that we would have  loved that?  Lol.  It was even worse though, because their Business class was practically empty, and we were in the row behind it so could see it.  They said they don't upgrade if the flight isn't full. It was pretty empty, so...  Still a good flight home, we did have the 4 seat row, in the middle, to ourselves...

Anyhow.  A short trip across the globe...  To be continued soon....

No comments:

html/java