Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lily's suicidal tendencies.

Oh My!  

Our sweet, little Lily-pup is sometimes a bit suicidal...

She has a tendency to want to EAT things. 
By things I do NOT mean food.
Not that she doesn't like food, she does.
In fact, we often wonder if she might perhaps be part goat.

Unfortunately, being able to discern what is 'food' and what is 'not' is a challenge for her...

She usually eats things that are not too dangerous, like paper, bird food, wrappers, something that is not too bad.  We do try to keep things away from her and keep her safe, but heck is it hard..   There are three teens coming and going, and the birds love to throw her stuff (like their toys, which apparently are delicious too).  Even when we walk her, she is constantly TRYING to eat dangerous things as quick as she can... Such as chicken on wooden skewers that were thrown on the ground...

Todd came home from Australia late Friday night.
Saturday we had to take Kayla-love for registration, and do a zillion chores.
Today is Sunday, and Todd has to head to Singapore this evening.
Well, while we were trying to get laundry and everything else ready before he goes this morning,
Todd heard Lily YELP in pain, and turned to see her on the sofa chomping something down and CRYING.  

He went to help her, and pulled something that looked like silver tinsel out of her mouth,
and she was shaking screaming!

It was so sad and awful.

She seemed like she was traumatized, but she is very sensitive, and we thought she was probably ok.  She usually is ok.  Maybe she swallowed some tinsel (which btw no one has any clue where the tinsel is from), and her tummy was hurting?

We went about our business getting ready.
She wanted to be held, and was sullen, but we figured tummy ache...

This is what she looked like this morning, sweet girl was still trying to smile...

It wasn't until Kayla rang up and came in and Lily did NOT bark at all that we were seriously concerned.
I offered her a piece of banana.  She refused it.
Bananas are her favorite!
I offered her a piece of chicken she looked interested, but turned away after attempting to eat.

Then I was REALLY worried.

I asked Kayla to hold her, because she seemed like she was having trouble opening her mouth or swallowing.  I thought maybe something was caught in her throat.  Kay held her and I gently went to open her mouth.  She screamed so loudly you would have thought I pulled her jaw off.  

With the 2 second crazy flinging, screaming dog peak in her mouth I saw what looked like a NEEDLE in the back of her mouth.  Pinned between her upper and lower jaws....
But, I couldn't be SURE!  

I mean Holy heck!  A needle!?!!  Why would she eat a needle?!
Why would there be a needle on the sofa?

Todd said, "Ok, we better call the vet."
Which I was VERY grateful for....

There is a vet that is walking distance from our flat (takes about 15 mins).
Todd called the vets office, which happened to be open on a Sunday, thankfully!
(Hong Kong is weird like that.  Drs offices are open on Sundays too).
The Vets office told him that they were booked for the day, 
but Todd told them it was an EMERGENCY and Lily needed to be seen now.
The vet was at lunch, but the office called back pretty quickly and told us that the vet would see her in 15 mins, so we hustled over there carrying the twitching in pain dog in the very HOT weather, by foot.   We are so grateful the vet gave up her lunch time for our lils!

The vet had to sedate her to get a look, and told us they would call us with the verdict.
We weren't sure what it was for sure in her mouth, and the vet would let us know what she found.

When they took Lily away from me, she started to bark crazily....
Crazily.  She wouldn't bark for ANYTHING at home....
They had given her a shot of 'pre-meds' before sedating her, and figured she would be fine.
But hearing her bark freaked me OUT so badly!
I just imagined the needle or whatever it was piercing her jaw with each bark...
And maybe I had a small meltdown and started to cry and express my concern..
I KNOW.  I KNOW.   Worst patient ever....

I couldn't help it... My POOR baby.
So, the doctor felt badly for me, and gave her back to me until the meds kicked in...
Then, they took her and said it would be a couple of hours to go home and they would call.

Well, as we were walking back the Dr called.
She did in fact have a sewing needle wedged in her mouth....
But, I do think the barking caused it to get worse, because the Dr said she couldn't see the needle at ALL...   But, she noticed a little bit of yellow thread and when she followed it to the needle it was completely embedded in her jaw under two of her back teeth....

She gave it to us. 
 The needle looks a bit beat up.
I can't even imagine the poor dogs mouth...

They had to break two teeth out to get the needle... :(

Pretty sad, but we are glad she is ok now.

She is on injectable pain meds currently and antibiotics.

Tomorrow she starts oral pain meds and antibiotics.

 Poor Honey had no clue what was going on with her friend. 

This evening she is on the mend, and enjoying her new doggy bed (feel better prize).
Honey got a new one too, because it was stressful for her too....

Our poor, sweet Lily Pup!

I thought Todd leaving, again, immediately after being gone for two weeks, during the start of a school year, and right before Logan heads off to college was stressful!  Oh, perspective....  

I am so thankful Todd was at least home to help, because I truly can't stand to see my babies suffer and I needed him by my side....

No comments:

html/java