Saturday, January 30, 2010

Wishing away time....

It seems in life there is always SOMETHING I am - Waiting for...

Something that makes me want to WISH the current time to pass as quickly as possible....

Oh, how impatient I am. . .

It is a trait that I am not proud of, but I can remember embracing even as a young child.

Heck, I remember, when I was 6 years old, I was told I could drive when I was 16... How I wanted to drive. I remember thinking, "Wow, I am 6, 16 is more than my entire life so far, and then some"... And I couldn't wait. Seriously, every time I would have a birthday I would think one more year down, one more year closer to driving!!! Getting my license on my 16th birthday meant the WORLD to me... I had wanted it so badly, and for so long that the night before my 16th birthday I COULD NOT SLEEP at all. I was sure I would die before morning, because of how much I wanted it... Seems a little dramatic now, but I always have been a tad 'passionate' about things... Fortunately, I made it through the night, and by the GRACE OF GOD I passed my driving test. I can't imagine how my world would have been rocked if I hadn't passed, or if I hadn't been able to take the test on my actual 16th birthday....

So, when I say that I have a tendency to wish time away looking toward some alluring date in the future. I am very serious.

Here is what I find myself doing constantly.

I can't wait for my kids to get home from school, so I watch the clock...
I can't WAIT to spend time with Todd, so I wish Friday would come faster...
I know you know what I mean. Watching the clock waiting to go home from work, watching the clock waiting for a class to end... Waiting for a pay day. Waiting to go to Disneyland (had to include that). Waiting for a phone call. Waiting for a package. Waiting, waiting, waiting. . . . .


Look at these cute faces? Patience, as if?!

There is ALWAYS something to wait for it seems... So, I am willing to bet MOST people are MUCH more Patient that I am... Patience, my biggest challenge. One thing that God is ALWAYS trying to help me to learn...

What I have realized, is while I am wishing away time to get to the elusive more exciting moment in the future, I am missing the precious moment that is now.

Every day, hour and minute is a - GIFT. A precious gift... While, yes, sometimes it is a gift you would rather return. We all have our bad days. Most days we do have some control over the way they turn out, and how much we get out of the day. Considering we each only have a limited number of days, moments, and hours - each should be cherished, right? I think so...

This is such a challenge for me....

But, I am making a new resolution,
"To live more in the now"
and to try and
"appreciate every day, hour and minute a little more"

I am thankful for the gift that life is, even with all of the patience that is required...


But, how sweet is it when the wait is over????

No comments:

html/java