Monday, October 6, 2014

The Journey Home - Part 2


Part 2

Back in Hong Kong

When I returned back in Hong Kong I was SOOO depressed and anxious, like unshakably.  I was so sad that Todd was gone and I felt a bit hopeless about the situation.   You see, there was a short window in which we could get the birds out of Hong Kong, if they were going to leave.  They aren't supposed to fly in temps lower than 50s or higher than 84 F. They are required to fly in a special compartment under the plane.  It is temperature controlled while in flight, but the pets are loaded on the plane hours before the plane is turned on, so if it is hot outside it is extra hot in their compartment and dangerous for them.

  In March, New York was having a record breaking cold winter at between 8-20 degrees F (not counting wind) way too cold for our tropical birds, and we knew Hong Kong would be over 90 by May.  That really gave us a short window to send them.  Best bet would be end of April or early May...

With the ban in effect, we couldn't plan.  There was really no choice.   I contacted every agency/group/person I could think of or was suggested to me to try and find a way around the ban.  I was met with the same response from all.   "You need to respect Hong Kong law.  There is nothing we can do.  It is for the safety of people." Period.

I contacted our local vet to see, if needed, if there was someone that could watch our birds for us until the ban was lifted and weather permitted (not that I would have been able to trust anyone)... There was Not a ONE person or group.  Hong Kong is not a bird place.  I am giving your the brief update, I SWEAR.  I even considered smuggling them on a cargo boat or to other countries where there wasn't a ban.  The things you consider for the sake of your baby.

I couldn't look at my bird without crying.  It was pretty bad, and Todd was gone in New York.  I felt abandoned too.   I just felt at a complete and total loss....   I was so stressed, I couldn't sleep, eat, I was a mess.. I was a total mess.   Thankfully, the girls were deeply engaged in their school activities, and were super busy and gone a lot...  (Logan was in Hawaii)...

After Todd was gone for three weeks, I ended up flying out to help him set up a house we found to rent and try to snap out of my funk.  When we were looking for a house,  my only condition on our house location - was it had to NOT be in the city.  We ended up renting a place in beautiful area nestled between two nature reserves, a serious sanity saver! With easy access to Manhattan, just hop on a train and you are in the city, WIN-WIN.  

Todd and I went back and forth to Hong Kong a couple times, but we also ended up flying Logan to Hong Kong when he finished his finals in early April to help out.  The kids worked together to take care of the pets and each other, while we tried to arrange all the details.  I am so thankful for the most amazing kids ever.  They are truly wonderful and responsible people.  I should add that while they each had their own plans and pursuits, each of them offered to stay in Hong Kong with the birds until they could come home, so that they would be safe.  They were willing to forsake their own interests for our baby bird  girls, because the birds are our family.  What truly unselfish, loving people they are.  If only we could afford two locations, not that I would want to do that to the kids!

I watched daily to see if the alert status changed in Hong Kong, and would panic with every story of Avian Bird Flu in the news. The status didn't change all  of March, April, or May.  We had to be out of our flat in Hong Kong by the end of June.  The kids had one way tickets  on June 21st to New York...   To say I was not myself for the majority of this year would be an understatement.  

I tried to keep Hong Kong time when I was in the states, to be there for my kids, and New York time with Todd (12 hour difference) and sort of nap in between.   I don't think I had a good nights sleep for at least 6 months.

The weather in New York started to warm a little (like 60s) in April and we knew if we were going to get the dogs out we needed to do it soon, besides it would cut down some of the responsibility the kids had if the dogs were gone. I worked with the girls (remotely) to ship the dogs to New York.   They had to take the dogs to the Vet to get their health certificates, set up their crates according to the mandatory protocol. We did a lot of picture texting back and forth.  They had to get them to the cargo area of the airport and make sure all the paperwork was in order, which means arranging a cab with the dogs and back.  They did great!  The dogs made the journey without a hitch! It was crazy how easy the paperwork is for the dogs.  They basically landed, we went early in the day to get our customs form cleared and were able to just pick them up.  It felt so good to have some of my babies home.

 I have to say, I think the dogs were getting a bit claustrophobic too. They had no patio or yard in HK.  The only time they were able to go outside was when we walked them. They were so excited about a house with yard and a doggy door.  The first week every time I would look for them, they would be laying in the middle of the yard watching the squirrels or just enjoying their freedom. 

In May, the temps started to get hotter in Hong Kong, and still there was no release on the ban.  June came and I was seriously beginning to panic.  The weather in Hong Kong was hovering in the 80's -90's....  Our lease was coming up on the HK Flat, and still the ban was in effect.  At that point I was worried that even if they lifted the ban it would be too late, as it would be to hot to ship them.  To compound issues, Hong Kong stays hot until about October-November, by which time New York would be cold. ugh!! It really seemed impossible.

Todd and I were set to fly to Hong Kong on June 15th, for the final move and krystin's graduation. We were still planning like everything was a go, because we didn't know what else to do.  On June 13th, I did my daily check on the Hong Kong alert status and it was changed!!  Hallelujah!  I was so elated I almost fell over, which is semi-ironic considering how totally panicked I was about sending the birds to quarantine.    However, the option of having them trapped in Hong Kong with no where to go was even more frightening... Of course, there were still many details to work out, but there was hope!


Stay tuned for Part 3

No comments:

html/java