Thursday, October 9, 2014

Quarantine - Part 1


Quarantine - Part 1

The word, quarantine,  had haunted me and tormented me for almost 2 years, and now it was my reality.  A reality I had to fight for.

After we landed, we had to get our three-thousand pieces of luggage and all our carry-ons before taking care of the pets.  We had rented a car, so after gathering all of our luggage. I stayed on the curb while Todd got the vehicle (that could hold all of the luggage) as quickly as possible, so we could go take care of our babies as quickly as possible.  

All I wanted to know is if the pets were ok.  

We were calling and trying to coordinate with Fish and Wildlife and the USDA quarantine people.  We were told we needed to hire a Customs broker?  No one mentioned that before. I was like, "No, no we don't."   I know all the paperwork. I know everything that needs to be done.  I will take care of it.  That is crazy. NO. We had the birds 'luggage' with us, two small suitcases that had all of their food, supplies, vitamins, boings, toys, perches, and comfort towels even.  I knew we needed to get them to the USDA quarantine people before they left with the birds, but we also needed to clear the bird with customs, so they could go first.  All these places were spaced out in opposite locations.  Oh, and we had to get the paperwork form the warehouse (3 places).  We drove back and forth, between the US Customs, the Warehouse (where the pets arrived), and then to Fish and Wildlife office where the USDA was to pick up the bird babes.  It was crazy.

When we finally got to the fish and wild life office, I was still unsure if the birds were ok.  We were not allowed to even see them.  However, when we walked in we could here their precious little voices in the back room.  Best sound EVER!  The gentlemen from the quarantine was truly the sweetest man.  He told us that our birds would be totally fine and that the handler is the most wonderful woman and loves birds.  He took the birds luggage and laughed. Apparently, pets don't usually come with luggage.  He loaded the birds in his vehicle after we left, as we weren't allowed to see them, which was hard, but maybe smart.  I might have grabbed them and RUN away with them! I was still pretty sure if my bird did make it through quarantine, she would never be the same mentally.

Now we had to go get our baby dragon.  I was trying not to obsessively think about our dragon-girl.  Did she die on the flight?  Was she ok?  I couldn't even allow myself to think about those things.  I really NEEDED her to be ok.  I wanted so badly to be able to take a baby home with us safe and sound.  We went back over to Customs, to get her clearance. The same lady that helped us with the birds helped us again.  The clearance wasn't there.  We tried to call fish and wildlife about it, they were supposed to fax the bird's and the lizard's clearance forms. Apparently, they only sent the birds.  We kept calling fish and wildlife.  Their office was now closed.  The warehouse was freezing. I was sure if the lizard was still alive she wouldn't make it in that freezing warehouse all weekend...  

I talked to the lady at customs.  I showed her all of our paperwork.  She knew the story by now, and she very kindly cleared our baby dragon.  I am so thankful for good people.

If you are curious, this is what the birds and the lizards kennels look like.


They all have pics on the top with their faces and names. 
My hope  was that, the people carrying them would treat them a little more gently, if they knew 'who' was in there.  Especially, the dragon, as she was hidden and quiet.


How could you be anything but gentle with that sweet face!

As we rushed to the warehouse, I was so nervous that she didn't make it. All the negative, horror stories of reptiles not making it  poured through my mind.

When we got the warehouse we anxiously were paying the fee (everything and everyone has a fee).  A guy from back had been the one to move our dragon, he saw the picture and was excited about her.  He quickly went and got her for us. All I could think was how incredibly cold it was in that warehouse.  The kennel was actually screwed together with tools (a china kennel), but I didn't want to take that long to find out if she was ok, so instead of unscrewing all the bolts, I asked if anyone had scissors.  The workers at the warehouse seemed just as anxious for us to get the lizard out and see if she was ok, as we were. I got the door open.  Cut the tape and the side of the box to get to her quickly and I reached my hand in to grab her.  I was so terrified that I would find a cold, limp, DEAD baby in there.  Instead, I reached in and there was a very cold baby, but a wiggly baby!  A very much alive baby. I gently pulled her from the box, still in her 'travel' burlap sack, snipped the end of that thing and cuddled her to warm her up.  Everyone there was enchanted with her. 


I can't describe the relief that she made it!


She was jet-lagged, and taking in America, while we were sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.  We were driving through Manhattan barely moving, while she sat on my lap looking around.  The cutest thing happened.  People started peaking in our car window and pointing to her and taking her picture.  It was as if they knew she was Dragon that just flew in from Hong Kong. 

She was greeted with true celebrity status, rightfully so.


So, while I wasn't able to take my bird babies home with me, which was mentally destroying me to be honest.  At least everyone was finally in America again...

The birds actually had to be in quarantine for 31 days, because 30 days was a Sunday.  
The countdown began...

There was one very happy Dragon Mamma waiting for her baby back at the house.
Ember actually did a leap of sorts into her Momma's arms on site. 
 It was cute.

Stay tuned for Surviving Quarantine

No comments:

html/java