Thursday, February 13, 2020

Lily's DNA!

There is a somewhat poetic irony to this...

Krystin had been asking if we could DNA Lily, as her personality was so different than our other poms.  I didn't feel it was urgent, as I figured she would be around for a while.  Krystin, however, asked if we could do it before she headed back for New York.  I said, "sure"...

The DNA test requires saliva.  She really didn't like us putting a q-tip in her mouth to get the saliva, and I was worried we didn't get enough (but we tried). Long story short... Krystin and I left for New York in the morning and Lily passed away in her sleep the next night... :'(

Anyhow, her DNA results came in today!
It was amazing to see the information, from her color, to the fact that she was prone to developing Cushing's Disease (which she had), and she had a genetic marker that would make it so her liver enzymes would be assessed as normal, but would actually be elevated.  Made me wish I knew this sooner!  Well, she is 100% Pomeranian! :D


I have ordered tests for Hazel & Cocoa for any possible genetic awareness that might help them to have a greater health and longevity.  

We sure miss our Lily!

No comments:

html/java