Thursday, January 31, 2013

Culture Shock - Dog Ear's edition...

I love my little dogs.  It is true.  When everyone leaves, they stay by my heals and keep me company.  They always have love in their eyes, and smile on their little snouty faces.   I tend to be a little over-protective of them...  

I have always gotten them groomed.  They have very thick coats that get matted very easily, and shed.  We have found it is much easier to keep them clean and healthy with a trim.   I have used a TON of different groomers... A TON.  Between Arizona and California.  Yes, there some that I have loved and some that I didn't use again, but overall nothing too bad....      

We had them trimmed very shortly before sending them to Hong Kong, but their fur grows quickly.  We were lucky to find a groomer that lives in our complex.  They don't have 'groomers' like they do in the states.   We took our dogs to this nice Australian lady, who groomed them (when they had the flea episode, poor thing)...   She did an ok job, was a bit shorter than I would like, no cute bow or anything, but was ok.  Only problem, she was moving soon.  That and Lily was a bit angry at her. I have never seen Lily act like that.  We would see her in the complex and Lily would growl and hide.  Clearly, not a good relationship for future grooming either way....

So, time passed... My little pups became very furry...  They needed a grooming...   I did a LOT of research and came across a groomer that has TONS of recommendations, a face book page, with lots of before and after pics, and she comes to your house.   Seemed like a perfect fit!

I set an appointment.  She came on time, and was sweet, kind and wonderful (even with LILY!).  Lily, while a spaz, loved her.   I specifically asked her to shave their bodies ONLY.  I said do NOT touch their heads or tails.  I think they look silly with their heads or tails shaved.   She confirmed.... 

This is what they normally look like when I make this request...
(Ok. I know, they look a little silly, but I love it!)

Well, I had to leave by 1pm, and she finished right at 1pm...  When Honey came bounding out, while I noticed she had shaved her head (argh), I didn't notice her ears........   She was jumping and Lily was barking, and I had to go.  Todd was there too.  He didn't notice either.  I think I was thinking, "Uhg, shaved the head, oh well, asia."...  

It wasn't until I got home that I realized there was something VERY wrong with my dog's ears....  
VERY wrong. 
I picked up Honey and noticed that the groomer had TRIMMED THEM OFF.
I am not joking.

Kayla was sooo upset, that she made this comparison.
Yes.  The tips of her ears are gone.  GONE.  

I am not going to lie.  I started to cry, and cried continually for days after every time I look at her.  I feel so badly.  I feel responsible for her getting hurt and MAIMED!

Todd and I were home the entire time she was being groomed.  The door to the bathroom was open, while the grooming was happening.  I didn't suspect anything was wrong...  But, Honey NEVER complains.  Not when she gets shots, not when she had a huge microchip implanted, she just doesn't.

How is Lily, you wonder?
Her ears a tiny bit shorter, but Lily is a handful and I am betting trimming her ears wasn't possible.

Did I contact the groomer?
Oh, yes. I did....

I emailed her, as that was our means of communication.
I asked her about Honey's ears, and mentioned asking her not to touch the head.
Her response?  Let me cut and paste it...

Hi Tamara,
So sorry.... I know you asked me to keep the head and tail..... but didn't realize that you want me to keep the ears pointy.... the purpose to cut the ear's hair is to make their fully body and everything as round as possible.... for me or in HK.... that's a basic step every groomer will cut the ear round...unless you request it have to be pointy,  so I didn't ask you..... anyway I am so sorry I don't know what can I do for you...?   I will start to ask every customer from now on...
P.S. I cut the fur only... not the actual ear,  you mean I cut their skin or something...?.....  

Let's look at the pic again and decide did she or did she NOT cut the skin?
On the left, last time she was groomed with her head shaved (which I hate).  Look at the ears. You can SEE the skin.  POINTED little triangles.  On the right, sheared right off. :(   

She then sent me a diagram of how she didn't cut the ears, just the fur, and offered to come over immediately and make her ears 'pointy' again.  She even has medicine to stop bleeding.  :(
I was like, seriously, cut MORE off, no thank you...  Poor little Honey.
Worst part is, she is super sweet, and aside from cutting my dog's EARS OFF and not following directions, did a great job and was so sweet with them.  UGH....

Ok, cause I KNOW you are curious to see the diagram she drew to demonstrate how she didn't cut the skin...  
In the diagram, notice how the ear is still pointy under the fur.  
Look at the above picture, does it seem accurate???

Let's just say that I am deeply disturbed by this, my poor Hun.

Take this as a Public Service Announcement, if in Asia with a dog, watch them GROOM your pup...

No comments:

html/java