Thursday, August 19, 2010

Watch your step...

The last couple of weeks there have been
"Shark Sitings" just South of us..
Sharks are kind of common, I guess,
but Great White Sharks that are BIG and close to shore, not so much.
Now, the odds of a Great White killing someone near here are very low. One every 50 years, and the last was in 2008, so the odds are really low that 'we' would be next, but...
I have been a little extra 'concerned' lately
Todd thinks I am silly.
I think I am just 'cautious'...
Anyhow, we had a date with the ocean last Wednesday
Logan has his Cross Country training at the beach on Weds,
(Krystin trains with the boys on this day)
which means Todd and I can play in the ocean and go body boarding.
This week, I was a little worried, just a little...

The kids doing 'Yoga' before the run


After we arrived at the beach...
I scanned the horizon and
I see this creature swimming in toward the shore...
I was like, "Todd, What is that?"...
We both watched as it got closer, it was a Seal?!
I have NEVER seen a Seal at this beach before!
And the little Water-dog was just happily playing in the surf with the surfers...
and All I could think was -
GREAT! Shark Bate!
They always say Sharks attack humans cause they LOOK like seals....
Well, here is an actual seal in the middle of the waves along with the humans...
I looked at Todd, and asked if he thought it was still safe?!
He assured me he was NOT worried...
I requested that he at least say a little prayer that Sharks wouldn't eat us.
He obliged me.
After the prayer,
I mentioned to him that we should have included stingrays too!
He laughed at me....
I mean it was probably about 57degrees in the water (COLD)
and stingrays Like the warmer tides...

Well, anyhow, we decided to brave the icy cold seas...
and headed out!
I was still looking for fins on the horizon,
and I saw a bunch of dolphins,
and hoped they were keeping away the sharks!
Todd was slightly ahead of me on this journey.
I mean if he was so sure no sharks were going to attack he can go FIRST!
So, he was wading out and looking back at me and then ...
It looked as though something grabbed him and he went down!
EEK!
Luckily, It was only a STINGRAY!
A super painful stingray, but you know compared to a shark?
We were in for maybe 10 minutes and had to rush him over to the Life guard station (even though he protested he was fine as blood poured out of his ankle).

The Lifeguards were awesome.
Apparently, it is VERY important to submerge the sting site in the hottest possible water immediately after the sting... Because, there is a bacteria laden venom that is injected into you when you are stung and the hot water will draw it out...
The runners were all worried

(Those are smiles of concern, really!)
and then they took Todd away from me for an hour!

Cute - Lifeguard JEEP!
I was a little worried, but he had his phone and kept me posted.
Todd lived and when he came back from the Lifeguard hub,
he even wanted to play in the water with me.
He is SO brave!
So, remember when you are in the water -
SHUFFLE YOUR FEET!
He had to get a tetanus shot as well,
and his ankle is pretty purple, but he is hanging tough!

In other news -

All three kids registered for high school classes last week.
Of course they all were assigned DIFFERENT days to do so... GRRR
But, they all were able to get the classes they wanted and they are happy.
Aren't they Cute?!

I sure LOVE these kids!

They are NOT only cute, but smart too!
They ALL tested in the Advanced level in EVERY subject!
Woo-HOO Kayla, Logan and Krystin!

Todd and Logan will be heading off to Cross Country High Altitude training tomorrow, so maybe if we are lucky we will have a guest blogger when they return. I am sending the camera with Todd! I can't wait to hear about the fun they have!

1 comment:

Sims Family said...

That is so funny! (Not really, though) I can't believe he actually was stung by a stingray after all your worries!
Sorry, Todd!
And yes, your kids are REALLY CUTE!

html/java